How do I create a Google Map to show my boundary?
When creating or trying to adjust a WeAlert group boundary, it’s sometimes most effective to send us a Google Map that depicts exactly where you’d like the boundary of your neighbourhood to be.
To create a Google Map:
1. Sign in to your Gmail or Google account (If you don’t have a Gmail or Google account, you can create one for free).
2. Visit: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/d/
3. Click the blue “Create a new map” button.
4. Search for your city and state. The map will take you to your city, and you can then click and drag around the map until you’ve located your neighbourhood. You can zoom in and out by clicking the “+” and “-” signs in the lower right of the screen.
5. There are seven buttons underneath the search bar. Click on “Draw a line” (the one that looks like a zig-zagged connect the dots).
6 . From the drop-down, select “Add a line or shape.”
7. Draw the boundary you’d like by clicking on the map. Each click will add a new dot or corner to your boundary. When you’re done, click back on the dot that you started on.
8. A pop up window will appear. Enter the name of your neighbourhood and then click the blue “Save” button in the window that pops up.
9. Click the “Share” button in the upper left corner of the screen.
10. A pop-up window might appear. You can click “Skip,” and this will take you to the Sharing settings window.
11. Another pop-up window will appear. Click on the blue “Change…” next to “Private – Only you can access.”
12. Select “Public on the web,” then click “Save.”
13. This will take you back to the Sharing settings window. Copy the URL at the top, and paste it in your response to info@WeAlert.io